Philadelphia shooting: Live coverage as 6 police officers shot in ongoing standoff in Nicetown neighborhood with suspect who apparently used Facebook live stream today – live updates

At least six police officers were shot in what police called an “active and ongoing” hourslong standoff in Philadelphia, authorities said. Two officers and three other people who had been trapped in the building with the shooter were freed after several hours, but the standoff continued into the night, police said.

After three hours, Police Commissioner Richard Ross said the situation was “in no way resolved.” Police had initially responded around 5 p.m. on a narcotics warrant and things “went awry almost immediately,” Ross said.

The commissioner said police are trying to communicate with a “single male” suspect. Police spokesperson Eric Gripp tweeted earlier that police are “imploring him to surrender and avoid further injuries.”

Gripp tweeted that children from nearby day care centers were evacuated.

Gripp said the officers were transported to local hospitals with non life-threatening injuries. Philadelphia police said at 11 p.m. that all the officers who were shot were released from the hospital. One officer who was injured in a vehicle crash related to the incident remained in the hospital. 

APTOPIX Gunman Firing at Police
Officers gather for crowd control near a massive police presence set up outside a house as they investigate a shooting in Philadelphia, Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019.


Four women who were escorted from the Nicetown-Tioga neighborhood told CBS Philadelphia they were on the second floor of the building with the suspect. “I thank God for these cops,” one woman said. Police urged residents to avoid the area.

Sources told CBS Philadelphia it appeared the suspect live-streamed at least part of the shootout. At least one male suspect was believed to be barricaded inside a building, CBS Philadelphia reported.

At least one officer was shot in the head, one was shot in the leg and another in the hand. It’s unclear where the other officers were shot. Several of the officers shot were taken to Temple University Hospital. The university said the Health Sciences Center had been on lockdown for several hours, but it was lifted by 7 p.m.

“Seek shelter. Secure doors. Be silent. Be still. Police are responding,” the university tweeted earlier.

Police asked news helicopters to avoid the area, tweeting that they were hindering police activity.

White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said President Trump was briefed on the situation.

“Shots fired”: Dramatic police recording released in Philadelphia shooting

Jericka Duncan contributed to this report.